Banner by the Wayside Vintage Book by Samuel Hopkins Adams Random House C1947
Reference id: hFlSujWTh5o 862
Vintage book "Banner By The Wayside" by Samuel Hopkins Adams, Random House, copyright 1947.
"This is a picaresque novel set pre-Civil War on the Erie Canal. Durie Edwards is a female foundling, raised as a boy in a bookshop. She falls in with traveling players, thieves, con men, disreputable women (and men), as she tries to sort out the truth from the pious lies told to her, and eventually finding love. Duries essential innocence is used to bring out the characters of the people she meets. Life on the canal boats is, as far as I can tell, accurately presented. Its a slice of Americana almost forgotten today. The writing is well done, although since it was published in 1947, it might read a bit florid to modern ears. Adams is deliberately pompous in spots, reflecting his minor characters delusions of importance.
Ive had the book on my shelves for years; worth a read." - Goodreads review
- I can do my best. Some books are so rare that they cannot be found.
Please contact me to discuss a finder\'s fee.
- Yes, however please contact me prior to ordering because international shipping can be spendy for books. I want to make sure that you agree to the price and delivery date estimate before making a purchase.
- I ship books via USPS media mail, unless requested and paid for otherwise.
- I usually package an order up right away, and it is shipped out the next business day. If it is a large book, I may need an extra day to find proper packaging.
- I only accept online payments.
- Yes, please contact me prior to ordering so I can get you a quote.